Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Don't let the bad teams fool you on this win streak

It's easy to look at the Texas Rangers' 11-game winning streak and point to weak National League opponents as the primary reason for the club's recent surge.

That wouldn't really be fair, though.

I realize Florida, Houston and Pittsburgh aren't exactly three teams that will be playing baseball in October this season.

But 11 games in a row is 11 games in a row. I could care less the opponent. Fact of the matter is, Texas has looked like a playoff contender in the way it put away those NL teams.

Consistency isn't a luxury every team enjoys. Ever bet on baseball in Vegas? I've never done it. But it would give me constant headaches. Unless the Yankees are playing the Orioles (or, say, the Rangers are facing the Astros...ha!), you just never know.

That's what's so encouraging to me about these last few games. The Rangers are clearly better than a lot of teams in baseball. That's something I haven't been able to say in years. I've worn my Rangers stuff rather consistently for the better part of seven years now. This year, there's a certain sense of pride that goes with wearing the gear. Corny, I know, but whatever.

Heck, if Texas would have gone 8-3 or even 7-4 in that span, it wouldn't have been bad. It just wouldn't have been memorable, either, just like the past few seasons.

Something's telling me this isn't going to be just another season in Arlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment