Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rays (not Yankees) would be postseason preference in round 1

With 16 games left in the season, the Texas Rangers' magic number is eight. No way it's hit me yet. It may not hit me until they clinch their first AL West crown since 1999.

As the regular season winds down, the unimaginable euphoria of winning the division becomes realistic. I've been dreaming of buying one of those shirts for years.

When October hits, the Rangers will face the AL East champion in the first round of the playoffs on the road. As of now, that's the New York Yankees, who hold a half-game lead over Tampa Bay.

I've read a few blogs online that suggested the Yankees would be a better draw for the Rangers in the first round.

I don't think so.

The Yankees own the best home record in baseball. They are very difficult to beat at home at 49-25. They have loads of playoff experience. They won their 27th World Series last season, and most of those guys are back this year.

Don't get me wrong: Knocking the Yankees out of the playoffs would instantly rise to the top of the best sports moments of my life. But I'm more confident facing Tampa Bay, even if the Rays have a deeper rotation. David Price, Matt Garza and James Shields are well-above average (and better than CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes), but they are not incredibly experienced.

Keep New York's lineup in mind as well. The Yankees have a considerably more potent lineup than Tampa Bay. Honestly, the Rays' lineup doesn't scare me against Cliff Lee, C.J. Wilson and Colby Lewis. You simply cannot walk guys at Yankee Stadium, though. The lineup is way too talented. Against Tampa Bay, you may be able to work out of more jams.

Maybe it's a mind-set thing. Maybe it's just because it's the Yankees brand name.

I'm just delighted that we'll most likely be making a postseason appearance, the first ever in my nine years of being a fan. And whether it's New York or Tampa Bay, I can't wait to embrace the underdog role and see what our guys can do. Maybe we'll surprise some people. Now that would be one hell of a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment