Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's starting to feel a lot like baseball season again

My NCAA Tournament bracket is completely hopeless. None of my predicted Final Four teams are alive. Once March Madness nears its conclusion, the best part about this time of the year year is looking ahead to baseball season.

Today, with six days until the Texas Rangers open the season against Boston, was the first time it hit me this spring that Opening Day is steadily approaching.

I'm watching the Rangers take on the Cubs right now in Surprise, Ariz., on ESPN2. First time I've watched the team on TV this spring. Initially, it felt like I was living in the past a little bit. C.J. Wilson, our 2011 ace, took the hill, Nelson Cruz smashed a double to right-center field and Mitch Moreland blasted a home run over the right-field fence. The last time I watched the guys on TV was obviously the World Series.

It's time to move on to 2011. The Rangers have a promising roster that could set them up to repeat as AL West champions.

My brother Dave visited me in Lawrence for my birthday last weekend, and we were definitely in the Opening Day spirit:



Here's what's on my mind with Opening Day six days away:

Neftali Feliz, after being considered to move to the rotation, will remain in the bullpen in 2011. It's understandable why management made this decision. If Feliz starts, then who closes? Is Alexi Ogando ready? Mark Lowe has looked dreadful this spring. Frank Francisco was traded over the offseason for Mike Napoli. It's probably too late to make a trade. The bullpen consists of plenty of seventh- and eighth-inning guys (Darren Oliver, Arthur Rhoades, Lowe, Ogando, Darren O'Day), but there's no bona fide closer in that mix. Feliz, who saved 40 games last year, is clearly that guy who brings a presence to the back end of the bullpen.

The news of Tommy Hunter beginning the season on the disabled list because of a sore right groin is a tough development. I'm sure plenty of Rangers fans will clamor for Feliz to crack the rotation even more in light of Hunter's injury. But if this is a different Rangers era than a few years ago — and I think it is — then the depth should allow the rotation to stay afloat. Let's say Hunter and Brandon Webb miss the first month of the season. You're rolling with Wilson, Colby Lewis, Matt Harrison, Derek Holland and either Ogando (who's being stretched out), Michael Kirkman, Dave Bush or Eric Hurley. There are options; a welcome change from past Texas teams.

The batting order is also pretty much determined: Ian Kinsler, Elvis Andrus, Josh Hamilton, Adrian Beltre, Cruz, Michael Young, Mitch Moreland, Yorvit Torrealba, Julio Borbon. I'm curious to see how much time Borbon sees to begin the season. He's had a fair share of outfield errors this spring, but has hit very well.

My curiosity for seeing Beltre play remains at its peak. I still haven't seen him play in a Rangers uniform because manager Ron Washington benched several of the starters after playing in a night game the day before. Fair enough. I still can't wait to see Beltre, particularly in the field at third base. The excitement and hype surrounding Beltre reminds me of Vladimir Guerrero last spring. I couldn't wait to see Vlad in the uniform.

Can't wait for the season to start. Six days and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment