Monday, February 20, 2012

My list of the top 10 local Dallas rock songs

When I think about my favorite part of the summer, attending baseball games at Rangers Ballpark tops my list. Not far behind, though, is supporting local Dallas rock music.

I've had the pleasure of attending a ton of shows over the years. I'll always enjoy the memories of a summer night filled with the sounds of non-commercial rock music in the friendly confines of places such as Curtain Club, House of Blues and Club Clearview, to name a few.

Since I live in Kansas City, it's difficult to keep up with the local Dallas music scene as much as I'd like. However, in my 10 or so years of hearing bands with Dallas ties, these are my 10 favorite songs:

 10. Faktion - Forgive Me
Album: Faktion
Year: 2006  

One of my earliest recollections of a Dallas rock show was seeing Faktion at the Curtain Club in 2003. They put on an electric show and seemed primed to hit the big-time. Lead singer Ryan Gibbs departed the band in 2007, and the band was unfortunately never the same. They completely changed their sound from hard rock with heavy melodies to soft rock with little punch. Not sure of the details surrounding Gibbs' departure. 'Forgive Me' was the opening song on the band's only album from 2006.

9. Panic Value - Victim of the Circumstance
Album: n/a
Year: 2006

These guys aren't together anymore either, but I remember them opening for Greatness in Tragedy, and making a lasting impression on the audience with this memorable track.

8. Greatness in Tragedy - Wasted
Album: Greatness in Tragedy
Year: 2004

I will always love Kirk Baxley and Greatness in Tragedy because they initially got me into the local Dallas rock scene. I've seen them in concert at least six times. Greatness in Tragedy wasn't as heavy as some of the other bands on this list, but 'Wasted' could kick you to the curb with the best of them.

Baxley was one of the nicest musicians I've ever met. He would always remember my brother Dave and me when we visited after shows. Baxley was also generous to take a photo with Dave and me, one that I will always hold onto. I can't recall the exact date, but I'll estimate 2004:


7. Redefine - The Silent Hum
Album: The Power of Persuasion
Year: 2009 

Where do I begin? There's no band I want to see succeed more than Redefine. Why? They really care about their fans.

I saw Redefine open for Faktion in 2003, having not heard of them before the show. I was immediately drawn to their original sound that incorporated heavy riffs and unique guitar solos. I bought their self-titled CD, and continued to support the band in their subsequent releases. When I purchased the band's latest album, Blur on the Horizon, guitarist Chris Apaliski sent me a hand-written note, thanking me for the support. Fans remember that kind of stuff. 

'Silent Hum' is a memorable track from the 2009 Power of Persuasion album and one of the more complete songs on this list. The guitar solo toward the end provides a jolt of energy to an already-awesome track.

6. Fair to Midland - Upgrade^ Brigade
Album: Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True
Year: 2007

Fair to Midland is one of the Dallas local bands to hit it big with a major label, agreeing to a worldwide deal with E1 music in November 2010. 'Upgrade^ Brigade' is one of my favorite songs from the band's 2007 album, Fables From a Mayfly.

It took me a while to fully appreciate the band's style of hard rock fused with folk influence, but the unorthodox presentation triggered a light bulb of brilliance in my mind. Once the songs click - sometimes it takes at least two to three listens - it's sheer greatness. I love a band that makes me concentrate on every sound it produces like FTM does.

5. Faktion - Take It All Away
Album: Faktion
Year: 2006

Faktion nearly broke through to stardom with this hit off their self-titled album. It actually hit No. 29 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock charts, but the band was never able to follow up on the distinction. It's a shame, too, because 'Take it All Away' was one of the most crowd-involving, chorus grippers that I can remember.

4. Fair to Midland - The Greener Grass 
Album: Arrows and Anchors
Year: 2011

Dave and I have had numerous discussions on which Fair to Midland album we prefer: Fables, or their latest release from the spring of 2011, Arrows and Anchors. I still prefer Fables ever so slightly, but 'The Greener Grass,' to me, is the reason it's such a close race.

As the final tack on Arrows and Anchors, the song displays a different side of FTM, one we've never heard before. The song opens considerably softer than the rest of the album, similar to what Avenged Sevenfold did with "Dear God" on the final song from their self-titled album in 2007. What's most amazing to me is how FTM blends this newer, progressive sound with their roots, as evidenced in the 6:00-7:00 minute interval, with lead singer Darroh Sudderth reaching vocal notes that no one else reaches. This part still makes the hair on my arms stand up, and I've listened to the song at least 30 times now. It's as if the band is offering a glimpse of what's ahead. And if that's the case, sign me up.

3. Greatness in Tragedy - Shoreline
Album: Greatness in Tragedy
Year: 2004

Nothing made me more jacked up than hearing 'Shoreline' live in concert. Sometimes, Greatness in Tragedy closed with it; other times, they opened with it. I remember Baxley routinely leading a crowd of craziness during this song, which appeared as the No. 1 track on GIT's self-titled album. This was the first song that introduced me to Dallas local rock.

2. Redefine - The Darkest Night
Album: The Power of Persuasion
Year: 2009

From the moment 'The Darkest Night' begins, the song has you at its mercy. Honestly, this song should play over a loudspeaker at Six Flags Over Texas for the roller coaster with the highest danger rating. At night only. And with flashing lights. It also reminds me of Batman, surely because of The Dark Knight. It's a song that gains extra momentum when played at night in the car. One of my favorite highway songs while in cruise mode.

I love the lyrics from the chorus: "So leave it burning bright. This ain't no candlelight. It's all consuming and bleaches out the darkest night."

This song absolutely rocks from start to finish, and is my favorite song from Redefine's steadily growing collection.

1. Fair to Midland - Dance of the Manatee
Album: Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True
Year: 2007

No song captures the essence of Dallas local rock music like 'Dance of the Manatee.' It's as much of a Dallas staple as the Texas flag that is proudly displayed on the drum kit for each Fair to Midland show.

This is the song that put FTM on the national map. I have so many memories of hearing this song live, and jumping around with Dave and our friend Jimmy to the bridge of "Not needy you see, and I come with open arms over trees."

Of course, the chorus of "We Marys had ourselves a ball" is a crowd-uniter like no other song they have. Darroh seems to cast epic performances with this live song, whether it's hanging from the ceiling or flailing around the stage in famous FTM form until he drops to the floor. He really goes all out on this track, making it the most powerful Dallas rock song of the last decade, and my favorite Dallas rock song of all-time:

4 comments:

  1. FTM and Redefine are favorites of mine too. Cool list!
    - TIM T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim, I greatly appreciate your comment! FTM/Redefine are my personal favorites as well. What are your favorite FTM/Redefine songs? Thanks for stopping by!

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list..... Please consider also checking out Moving Atlas as well. Another Dallas band who has shared the stage with each band you have listed. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ricky, great point. I saw Moving Atlas open for Fair to Midland at Trees (I think?) around 2010. I remember buying their CD after the show because it was seriously awesome. "Parachute" is a personal favorite of mine. What are some of your favorites?

    ReplyDelete