Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Joey Gallo Goes All Roy Hobbs in Debut, Rangers Fans Lose Their Minds

I'm not entirely sure what I'm about to type, but I'm 100% sure I just had an out-of-body baseball experience.

In his big league debut, Rangers third baseman Joey Gallo announced his presence with a scintillating 3-for-4, 4 RBI performance that included a single, double, walk and most memorably a towering home run that shot out of a freaking cannon into the second deck:




The Rangers beat the White Sox, 15-2 on Tuesday behind 19 hits, and are two games above .500 at 27-25. Tonight had the feeling of watching Roy Hobbs. The only thing missing was shattered stadium lights.

Nights like this are what makes baseball my favorite sport. The payoff, when it does come, is so gratifying because of the patience that comes with being a loyal fan.

In the NBA and NFL, rookies make an impact on the day they're drafted. In the MLB, they play in the minor leagues for several years. We hear about them. We watch video. We read about the Futures Game. We think to ourselves what could be. And naturally we fear what may not be. A whole lotta highly touted MLB prospects don't make it once they hit the show.

We read more about Gallo, and the hype intensifies. In 2014, one of the most painful years in Rangers history for the fans and the injured starters, watching Gallo's minor league highlights are more intriguing than what the big club (which finished 67-95) is doing. He's crushing tape-measure homers. He's walking. He's striking out less. Nice to see in Double-A, but we naturally wonder how it will translate to the bigs. He's the No. 1 can't-miss Rangers prospect, according to all the lists, heading into this year.

We wait some more in 2015. Texas is playing better, but Gallo is not supposed to be an option until late 2015 at the earliest, more realistically 2016. Then Adrian Beltre slides in a way that messes up his thumb. The Rangers' captain is out three weeks and there's an opening at third base. Enter Gallo. The wait was over long before I thought it'd be. I didn't anticipate general manager Jon Daniels calling Gallo up as a 21-year-old, but he pulled the trigger anyway.

That's why I came home from work today and turned on the TV with tempered expectations. Not only is this dude only 21, but he's never seen a professional pitch above Double-A. Kris Bryant, another mega prospect currently up with the Cubs, went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts earlier this year in his MLB debut. They throw filthy stuff in the show, and Gallo may need some time to adjust. Or so I thought.

Yep, he tore that script to shreds on Tuesday. He ripped a single in his first at-bat with the bases loaded that scored 2. Then he broke out the tape measure for a second-deck round-tripper that scored another 2. His third at-bat was torched and somehow stayed in the park for a double off the right-field wall.

Gametime in Arlington sideline reporter @taylornjohnson (or really my dear friend Taylor, who was attending the game) texted me following the double and said, "I can't believe it hit the wall. Seriously." Watching it back again, me either. It was smashed so hard that it had the look and feel of another home run.

Lexus Club Level. Yes, Gametime in Arlington sends people to games. Duh.

Photos from the Gallo debut from 6/2 courtesy of @taylornjohnson.

Of course, it's difficult to tap the breaks after a night like this, but we should. We should really try. Yeah, I'll likely fall asleep a little later than usual tonight replaying each at-bat in my head, but Gallo isn't going to do this on a nightly basis. Hell, Daniels even said that once Beltre is healthy in a few weeks, Gallo's headed back to the minors. Uh ... not if he keeps this sorta thing going.

It was one of my most memorable nights as a Rangers fan. Easily the most enjoyable night since they were in the playoffs. Gallo is the head of the next wave of Rangers prospects that includes Alex "Chi Chi" Gonzalez, Nomar Mazara, Jake Thompson and Jorge Alfaro. This only gives me more confidence in our player development and scouting.

I read about these guys all the time, but I rarely get to see them play. Tonight, I saw something I never thought I'd see. It was truly a night for the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment