Monday, March 7, 2016

Spring Training Reaction: All About Nomar Mazara

Surprise, Ariz. - It's difficult to make big-picture observations after attending one spring training game. However, I think I saw enough on Sunday to be super excited about the long-term future of 20-year old outfielder Nomar Mazara.

In a game the Rangers lost to the Mariners, 7-3, not much stood out. The Rangers trotted out their starting infield, which was nice. Adrian Beltre smashed a rope down the left-field line and was promptly pulled, as if to say, yep, you're pretty much in midseason form already. The Mariners stole six bases on Nick Tepesch and Chris Gimenez, which hurt both players' chances of making the opening day roster.

Mazara definitely stood out, though.

When he was announced in the batter's box, I noticed some smartphones out and ready, mine included. Mazara continued his torrid spring with an RBI single, which I thankfully caught on video:


His 1-for-2 day actually lowered his batting average to .636 this spring. Yikes. 

At 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Mazara looks the part and he's only 20 years old. 


Chances are with the signing of Ian Desmond to a one-year deal, Mazara starts the season in AAA. Tell you what, though: Patience is difficult when you watch this kid. He appears to have all the raw tools, and I've read quite a bit about his advanced plate approach limiting his floor. He did oddly miss a ball defensively in right field that could have been caught, but you won't hear complaints from me on that. 


I think Mazara will be up in the big leagues at some point in 2016. I'd love for manager Jeff Banister to pencil his name in the middle of the lineup for years to come.

When I think about our Big 4 position prospects (Mazara, Joey Gallo, Jurickson Profar, Lewis Brinson), I become even more impressed with the deal that brought Cole Hamels to Texas last year. Sure, we parted with a slew of prospects, but the farm was so strong that we still have these up-and-comers on the brink. They're all close and they should all make impact within the next year. I'll be proud to say I saw Mazara before he got to the show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment