Friday, May 7, 2010

Muchas gracias, C.J. Wilson

This was the first time since I've been a Rangers fan that I've heard fans in Arlington chanting our pitcher's name.

That's how amazing C.J. Wilson has been in 2010.

The lefty had another sensational outing on Friday night, pitching a complete game five-hitter against Kansas City in a 4-1 victory. Even more impressive, he out-shined 2009 Cy Young winner Zack Greinke.

Wilson's 1.51 earned-run average ranks third in the American League. No way I would have expected that a month ago. He's been the ace of our staff, without question.

I'm so pleased I had a rare Friday off tonight and was able to catch the entire game. I was a bit concerned after Thursday's wacky 13-12 victory. Sure, you take the 'W,' but blowing an eight-run lead was demoralizing. It didn't feel much like a win.

After tonight's victory, however, I'm feeling great. Wilson going the distance, in an efficient 113 pitches, gave our depleted bullpen a chance to rest. The bullpen needs to buy C.J. a steak dinner or something after his masterful outing.

We're now sitting at 16-14 and in first place in the crowded (and perhaps medicore) AL West. Considering we started the year 5-9, I'll take it. That means we're 11-5 in our last 16.

It's comforting to know that in this roller-coaster of a season, we've already taken down aces like Felix Hernandez, Cliff Lee, Mark Buehrle (kinda...I mean, he was their opening day starter) and Greinke.

Now that our bats are starting to wake up, I'd love to see an amazing month of May. Ian Kinsler's return has helped the lineup. Justin Smoak's not hitting for average yet, but he's providing a plate presence that Chris Davis didn't provide. In only 15 games, Smoak has three homers, eight RBIs and has seemed to make productive outs. He's barely missed on a few more bombs. I expect his average to see a spike soon.

Perhaps more than any factor, though, Vladimir Guerrero is mashing out of his mind. Thanks for that one, Anaheim. The guy's hitting .349 with six homers and 25 RBIs. His ability to be a solid situational hitter so far is why he has 25 ribbies. He's hit a few sac flies that I can remember off the top of my head. What an offseason grab.

Once Nelson Cruz returns on Wednesday, a game I should be attending live in Arlington, the middle of our lineup easily becomes the best in the AL West. I love the thought of this lineup when I make my return to the state next week:

1. Andrus
2. Young
3. Hamilton
4. Guerrero
5. Cruz
6. Kinsler
7. Smoak
8. Treanor
9. Borbon

I'm flying to Dallas on Monday, and we'll be in town until Thursday night. Most likely, I'll be attending Wednesday night's 7 p.m. home game against Oakland. I can't wait to get back for a game. It's truly one of the highlights of my year. My intent is to take a lot of photos to spice up the blog.

With this lineup and continued success from our starting pitchers, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances this year in the West.

Still have to address a few bullpen concerns, particularly another effective left-hander aside from Darren Oliver (Derek Holland or Matt Harrison perhaps). If Chris Ray and Frank Francisco continue to struggle, dipping into our farm system will be mandatory. Thankfully, our farm is stacked.

Our defense has been solid. Speaking of which, the play Elvis Andrus made at shortstop Friday night in the ninth inning was one of the best plays I've ever seen. The guy is 21 years old and already perhaps the best defensive shortstop in baseball. Incredible.

Can't wait to get back next week. I'll surely be updating the blog after my visit to share my experience to the ballpark.

For now, hello win column!

No comments:

Post a Comment