Monday, May 24, 2010

Random Rangers observations: What to do with Justin Smoak?

Losing two straight to the Cubs wasn't how I wanted to close the latest homestand, but perspective is needed for Rangers fans who walked away from the series in an angry state of mind.

Texas is still 14-8 in May.

It's been a good month so far.

Random Rangers observations from the weekend series:

How much patience should the Rangers show Justin Smoak?

I love thinking about the rookie's ceiling, but he's been a hole in the lineup of late, going 6-for-47 in his last 15 games. Calling up Chris Davis, who's hitting well in Triple-A, seems a bit pointless and would impede Smoak's progress on the field. Smoak needs regular at-bats at the major league level. I just hope he breaks out of this thing soon.

I'm excited to see the Rangers in live action again this upcoming week.

Texas will travel to Kansas City to take on the Royals on Tuesday and Wednesday, only a 45-minute drive for me. I'll be on hand, weather permitting, for Wednesday's day game at 1:10 p.m. The mound matchup is Scott Feldman vs. Luke Hochevar. I'm looking forward to it.

I now have a full drawer dedicated to Rangers shirts.

Ridiculous, I know, but it looks pretty stellar. My shirt count for the drawer is 11, but it jumps to 13 when you include the pullover and the long-sleeve shirt that are in my closet. Awesome.

Frank Francisco has been dominant lately.

The reliever struck out the side on Sunday, all swinging. He hasn't given up an earned run in eight straight appearances. In that time, he's struck out 12 and walked one. I like the idea of a rejuvenated Francisco combining with Neftali Feliz at the back of the bullpen.

Speaking of the bullpen, I hope it doesn't get too worn out.

In particular, Feliz, Francisco, Darren Oliver, Chris Ray and Darren O'Day.

Oliver has been lights-out this year, with a 1.59 ERA and 24 punchouts to oppose only five walks. But he's our only left-handed reliever, so he's been called upon quite a bit. I don't have a huge problem with that because he's been effective. But he's also 39 years old. Hopefully, the addition of lefty Matt Harrison to the bullpen later in the week will alleviate Oliver's heavy workload a bit.

As for Ray, I can't complain about the 2.57 ERA. But the 11:10 strikeout-to-walk ratio is less than inspiring. I fear over-utilizing the guy since he's only two-plus years removed from Tommy John Surgery.

All in all, though, a good month of May. We need to regain some momentum this week in K.C.

1 comment:

  1. Smoak is definitely struggling, but has shown an ability to
    work counts (something Chris Davis isn't interested in). I would be more discouraged, but he's hitting the ball hard and a lot of times those just aren't finding holes. He'll be fine.

    Bigger question. How much longer do Rangers stick with Julio Borbon in CF? Murphy needs more of those AB's.

    ReplyDelete