Saturday, August 14, 2010

Watching Josh Hamilton: As good as it gets

Watching Josh Hamilton play baseball calls to mind stories my dad tells me about the great ballplayers of his era.

If Hamilton plays a few more years even close to the level he did Friday night, there's a legitimate chance he'll pop up in the stories that I tell when I'm my dad's age.

In Friday night's 10-9 Texas comeback victory over Boston, I felt like I was watching one of the best baseball players I've ever seen.

That hadn't really hit me with Hamilton in the past.

I always thought of him as a well above-average player when healthy. But injuries prohibited him last year from taking the leap from a memorable 2008 season to elite status.

This year, he's very much elite. Easily should win AL MVP. Could be the best player in baseball. When was the last time someone gave Albert Pujols a serious run for that title?

Hamilton did just about everything fathomable on the field against the Red Sox on Friday in Arlington. The checklist:

• Went 4-for-5 with a home run, double, two singles, an RBI and a walk to raise his batting average to a league-leading .362.

• Stole second base after singling in the eighth inning.

• Made two spectacular defensive plays in center field. The one where he robbed Jed Lowrie of a home run was amazing. I've watched the replay a few times now. I cringed a bit, naturally, knowing Hamilton got hurt last year plowing into a wall in a chase for a fly ball. At the same time, I can't help but applaud the desire to hop aboard his horse and run down that ball. He covered a ton of ground and displayed a great amount of body control.

• In a heads-up play in the eighth inning, made the turn at third base and scored the tying run on Vladimir Guerrero's infield hit. After Hamilton stole second in the eighth, with the Rangers down a run, Guerrero pushed a ground ball back up the middle. The throw to first wasn't in time, with Guerrero going all out and diving head first to the bag. Safe. At the same time, Hamilton broke for third, noticed the throw took some time, and flat-out booked it for home plate. The throw was late and Hamilton slid in safely. I don't know if Josh Lewin's voice was any louder all season than when he yelled "SAAAAFE!" on that play. I can't tell you how fast you have to be to make that turn at third.

Nelson Cruz blasted a home run in the bottom of the 11th inning on the first pitch he saw from Tim Wakefield. Ballgame.

The victory, as everyone who watched that game knew, would not have been near possible without Hamilton, though. One of the many reasons he deserves runaway MVP honors.

Texas enters an interesting situation this offseason. Hamilton and Cliff Lee both will be up for new contracts. Hopefully, the new ownership finds the resources to retain both. If that happens, it suddenly feels like we have the best pitcher and hitter in baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment