Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Reaction: Josh Hamilton wins American League MVP

Texas outfielder Josh Hamilton was named American League MVP on Tuesday, edging out Miguel Cabrera and Robinson Cano for the honor.

Well deserved.

About a week ago, Neftali Feliz won AL rookie of the year. It's great to see Rangers players racking up the postseason accolades.

I watched Hamilton do some things I've never seen anyone else do on a baseball field this season. His display of every tool in the book in a 10-9 victory over Boston on Aug. 13 was one of the more mesmerizing moments I've witnessed with this great game.

Hamilton is in the middle of his prime at age 29. When healthy, there's no question he's one of the top 2-3 position players in the majors.

The outfielder hit .359 (including an absurd .401 clip against righties), with 32 home runs and 100 RBIs. The batting average was easily more impressive than the power numbers, which are frequently overrated when evaluating a player.

Hitting .359 requires an insane amount of discipline. Swinging for the fences is rarely the mission. It takes more focus. Utilizing all parts of the field. Taking walks. Hustling your tail off down the line for occasional infield hits. Hamilton possesses the unnatural ability to do all of that.

He only hit .190 in the postseason, but had a memorable run of hits and homers (four) against the Yankees.

And he's a nice guy. Random aside, but my college roommate and good friend, Matt, called me one afternoon, no more than a week ago, as he was about to board a cruise in Florida.

"You'll never believe who's on this cruise with us," Matt told me.

Stumped on whom it might be, I finally gave up.

It was Hamilton. He was a guest speaker on the Christian cruise line.

To my surprise and delight, Hamilton was the one who approached Matt, not the other way around. I'm trying to picture what I'd do if Hamilton randomly approached me and started jollying. I'd be like a flippin' teenager at a Good Charlotte concert.

Matt told me the two had a basic conversation and Hamilton was a really nice, humble dude. Matt was convinced Hamilton thought he was a minor-league player because of the gear and bag he was carrying. He should have rolled with it longer (either that or nicely asked for an autograph. You can make that out to Eric. That's E-R-I-C).

Hamilton is a guy I'd love to see stay in Texas a long time. Health is the main issue with Hamilton. If he's healthy, this may not be the last time he's presented with this honor. It is undoubtedly, though, an amazing accomplishment and another reason the 2010 baseball season, when the Rangers won the American League and advanced to the World Series, will be remembered as my most memorable season of following a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment