Saturday, June 11, 2011

Why the heck not? Heading down I-35 to Dallas

With Saturday and Sunday off, I made a rather crazy decision on Friday afternoon: I'm heading down I-35 shortly to Plano so I can be in Dallas when the Mavericks take on the Heat in Game 6 on Sunday.

This is pretty crazy, with it being a seven-plus-hour drive and all, but what the hell? You only live once. Plus, this will surely be a story I tell for a long time, regardless of the outcome. Just like I did for the World Series. Sure, the Rangers lost to the Giants, but I don't for a second regret my trip back to Arlington to attend.

Game 6, of course, is in Miami, but Dallas is going to be absolutely insane if the Mavs pull this one off. I want to be there to witness it.

I don't know what it feels like to have one of my teams win it all. Kansas in 2008 doesn't count because of my unbiased position in writing about the Big 12. I've been close, though:

2002: Raiders lose in Super Bowl.
2006: Mavs lose in NBA finals.
2010: Rangers lose in World Series.

Maybe this year will be different. If it is, I want to be sure I'm in Dallas to take it all in.

Time to hit the road. I'll be back on the blog throughout the weekend. Go Mavs.

No comments:

Post a Comment