Sunday, July 3, 2011

All-Star game observations: Rangers representation, snubs and more

Earlier today, I predicted what the All-Star rosters would look like for July 12 in Phoenix.

Here are the actual selections for the American League.

And the actual selections for the National League.

A few observations:

Four Rangers made the team, more than I had predicted. Josh Hamilton, Michael Young, Adrian Beltre and C.J. Wilson will represent Texas. Of course, I'm thrilled four Rangers made it because it will make watching the game considerably more exciting. Texas had six All-Stars last season, and that was a ton of fun. Truth is, though, Hamilton does not deserve to be an All-Star this season. He will start the game in the outfield because the fans voted him in. He's playing very well right now, but the guy missed two months with an injury. He's hitting .300 with 10 home runs and 40 RBIs, pretty darn impressive when you take into account he's had only 186 at-bats. But there are more deserving candidates. I found it interesting that the players voted Beltre ahead of Alex Rodriguez at third base. A-Rod will start at the hot corner because of the fan vote.

My top snubs: Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh; Paul Konerko, Chicago; CC Sabathia, New York; Craig Kimbrel, Atlanta.

Kimbrel must feel particularly snubbed. His bullpen mate, Jonny Venters, received a nod probably just because the NL wanted a lefty option. Kimbrel is tied for the MLB lead in saves with 24, and has a pretty stellar 67/18 K/BB ratio, to go along with a 2.57 ERA.

Most of these snubs will have the opportunity to play in the game anyways because of injuries or through the 'final man' vote.

Main reason fans shouldn't be allowed to vote: Derek Jeter will start at shortstop for the AL. It's not that I have anything against Jeter. I actually like the guy. But he's simply not an All-Star this season. The worst argument I keep hearing is the legacy argument. Please. Don't worry, his statue will still be erected at Yankee Stadium. It's just that this is the 2011 All-Star game, and therefore, the 2011 All-Star rosters should be constructed based on 2011 performance. Nothing else.

• The lone Royals representative was Aaron Crow, who's had a breakout year in relief with a 1.36 ERA and a 39/17 K/BB ratio. I had Alex Gordon as my lone K.C. selection, but I feel good for Crow, who I remember watching when he played at Missouri.

• There's something odd about Minnesota's Michael Cuddyer making the AL roster. The .286 average is just fine, but 11 homers and 32 RBIs don't really jump off the page. Of course, each team must have at least one representative (a good rule). But I would have liked to see Twins starter Scott Baker (6-5, 3.15 ERA, 101/29 K/BB) instead of Cuddyer. I think Baker, an Oklahoma State product, remains one of the more underrated players in baseball.

My American League starter: Justin Verlander (11-3, 2.32 ERA, 130/29 K/BB).

My National League starter: Roy Halladay (11-3, 2.44 ERA, 131/17 K/BB).

My American League batting order:

1. Curtis Granderson, New York
2. Robinson Cano, New York
3. Jose Bautista, Toronto
4. Adrian Gonzalez, Boston
5. Alex Rodriguez, New York
6. Josh Hamilton, Texas
7. David Ortiz, Boston
8. Alex Avila, Detroit
9. Derek Jeter, New York

My National League batting order:

1. Jose Reyes, New York
2. Rickie Weeks, Milwaukee
3. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee
4. Prince Fielder, Milwaukee
5. Matt Kemp, Los Angeles
6. Troy Tulowitzki, Colorado (DH)
7. Lance Berkman, St. Louis
8. Brian McCann, Atlanta
9. Placido Polanco, Philadelphia

I never gave much thought to the home field advantage in the World Series granted to the winning team of the All-Star game. Last season, home field would have been particularly helpful to the Rangers against the Giants. Naturally, the AL lost for the first time in 13 years last season. This year, I'll root a bit more for the AL to regain its swagger. As I learned last year, you never know what can happen in the postseason.

No comments:

Post a Comment