Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bullet-point reactions on 2012 MLB All-Star selections

I thought it would be a nice opportunity for some bullet-point observations from the Gametime in Arlington blog, after the release of the MLB All-Star rosters Sunday afternoon:
Yu Darvish hasn't officially made it, but is on the "Final Vote" ballot
  • A franchise-record seven Rangers will suit up for the AL on July 10 in Kansas City, Mo: Mike Napoli, Adrian Beltre and Josh Hamilton will start, while Elvis Andrus, Ian Kinsler, Matt Harrison and Joe Nathan made the roster in reserve roles. Yu Darvish has a chance of making it in the "Final Vote" ballot. Seven (or eight) Rangers will of course make the game fascinating for me, and even more interesting is the fact that the game is taking place at Kauffman Stadium, roughly 20 minutes from my apartment in K.C.
  • Tickets were too expensive for me to attend. I would have had to spend World Series money (roughly $400/ticket), and that seemed a little high for an All-Star game. That said, I'll be sporting Rangers stuff in K.C. (as I usually do) for the entire week leading up to the game. I'm interested to see how many Rangers fans I see around the city. Hit me up if you're a Rangers fan who is looking for cool places to visit in K.C. (@esorrentino24 on Twitter).
  • I never gave much thought to the significance of the outcome of the game before last year, when the NL took the victory. As a result, the Cardinals held home-field advantage over the Rangers in the World Series. Hoping the AL snaps the two-year drought and regains the crown, like the previous 12 times before 2010.
  • Based on the starters, here's how I would fill out the batting order for the AL: 
    • 1. Derek Jeter, SS, NYY
    • 2. Robinson Cano, 2B, NYY
    • 3. Josh Hamilton, OF, TEX
    • 4. Adrian Beltre, 3B, TEX
    • 5. Prince Fielder, 1B, DET
    • 6. David Ortiz, DH, BOS
    • 7. Jose Bautista, OF, TOR
    • 8. Curtis Granderson, OF, NYY
    • 9. Mike Napoli, C, TEX
  • Here is how I'd fill out the batting order for the NL:
    • 1. Rafael Furcal, SS, STL
    • 2. Melky Cabrera, OF, SF
    • 3. Matt Kemp, OF, LAD
    • 4. Joey Votto, 1B, CIN
    • 5. Carlos Gonzalez, DH, COL
    • 6. Carlos Beltran, OF, STL
    • 7. Pablo Sandoval, 3B, SF
    • 8. Buster Posey, C, SF
    • 9. Dan Uggla, 2B, ATL
  • I voted for a completely different NL outfield: Gonzalez, Ryan Braun and Andrew McCutchen. The NL's batting order would have been absurd with that outfield in tact. 
Can't wait for the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment