Friday, September 27, 2013

Dear Cleveland and Tampa Bay: Please Lose. Signed, Everyone.

Quick, someone poison the food of the Cleveland Indians who order room service this weekend in Minnesota. OK, maybe don't. But it seems that's the only way these guys will chalk one up in the "L" column right now.

Cleveland and Tampa Bay sit one game ahead of the Rangers for the final American League wild card spot with two games left in the 2013 regular season. Is it me, or does it seem like the flippin' Indians will ... not ... ever .... lose ... again ... seriously, like for the rest of time. Their eight in a row seem like 50 in a row.

Friends, welcome to September baseball.

It's been a while since I've posted to the blog. This past month, moving apartments and starting a new job have occupied the majority of my time. But the final weekend of the baseball season is one of my favorite times of the year, especially during close playoff races. And so (insert Yoda voice) blog about baseball, I must.

This has been one of the weirdest seasons I can remember. Some days, I think this team can make noise in the playoffs. Others, I think they are the second-to-worst team in baseball (sorry, Astros, but no one is taking your crown). I've gone to bed some nights wondering what in the hell I just witnessed. It got so bad for a stretch that I couldn't watch a game, because of the peaks and valleys, until the sixth or seventh inning at the earliest.

Right now, every pitch counts. The ground-ball double play Alexi Ogando induced in the fifth inning to preserve a tie game was a mammoth moment in tonight's 5-3 victory. The bullpen, namely Jason Frasor, Neal Cotts, Tanner Scheppers and Joe Nathan, have been great. The offense is sorta kinda waking up.

This isn't the space for secret formulas. Texas has to win its last two games against the Angels and hope Tampa Bay (at Toronto) or Cleveland (at Minnesota) loses one. Pretty simple.

Derek Holland tomorrow. Yu Darvish Sunday. Our best two pitchers. Script is set. Gotta have 'em both.

Dear Cleveland and Tampa Bay,

Please lose.

Signed, Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment