Thursday, August 22, 2013

Another Baseball Stadium Crossed off Bucket List: PETCO Park

San Diego - Whenever I visit an MLB stadium for the first time, it's an opportunity to cross off items from my sports bucket list. As a baseball dork, that consists of visiting all 30 MLB parks at some point in my lifetime.

This past weekend, my list became one park smaller after I attended a game at PETCO Park in San Diego. The Padres lost, 5-2, to the Mets.

Here's my running tally of parks attended:

1. Rangers Ballpark in Arlington: Texas Rangers
2. Kaufmann Stadium: Kansas City Royals
3. Wrigley Field: Chicago Cubs
4. Coors Field: Colorado Rockies
5. Dodger Stadiun: L.A. Dodgers
6. Sun Life Stadium: Florida Marlins (mid '90s)
7. PETCO Park: San Diego Padres

I'm only about a fourth of the way there. We still have some work to do. I'm currently living in Kansas City, which means St. Louis is only three or four hours away. The new Busch Stadium could be next, particularly with the Cardinals being an exciting team to watch on a yearly basis.

PETCO, although somewhat absent of talent on the field, was an impressive park:

PETCO Park in San Diego: 8/16/13
It's a shame the product isn't better (57-70, second-to-last in NL West) because there are lots of perks: perfect weather, fantastic downtown location, good food (fish tacos, anyone?), modern architecture ... what's missing is the competitive atmosphere. The Padres are out of the playoff race, and it seems like the fans show up for the good weather and food more than they watch the team on the field. I suppose I can't blame them.

Major kudos to Padres outfielder Chris Denorfia, who entered the batter's box to Quiet Riot's "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)." That would totally be my walk-up entrance song, too ... if I had better hand-eye coordination, a shred of speed, an ounce of a power stroke and could actually play the game. Ah well. Can't win 'em all.

San Diego, as I've said for 10 years, is the nicest city I've ever visited in the U.S. You wake up every day to 75 degrees and sunshine. Humidity does not exist. There's history, beaches, great seafood, sports culture, an emphasis on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and nice people. Two qualms: the Pacific Ocean is just too damn cold, and the cost of living is absurd. Other than that, there's not much not to like:

Looking out the passenger window of our rental car on the Coronado Bridge - heights - ahhhh!!

And don't worry, Rangers fans. You know I represented our AL-West leading squad (yep, A's, hope you're mad looking at those standings right now) on the beach:

Representing the Yu Darvish shirt-jersey on Coronado Beach
All in all, a fantastic trip. And, of course, the Rangers are back in first place. May it stay that way for the rest of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment