Sunday, October 2, 2011

2011 ALDS, Game 2: Moreland's HR creates thrilling moment

There's fewer more enjoyable moments as a sports fan than when a player from your baseball team crushes a game-altering, meaningful home run in the playoffs, and you know it the second it leaves his bat.

Such was the case on Saturday night, when Mitch Moreland struck a towering blast to right field in the eighth inning that preserved a much-needed 8-6 Texas victory over Tampa Bay and tied the ALDS at 1-1.

I watched pretty much every pitch Saturday since I was at my apartment on my dinner break. As soon as Moreland's bat made contact with the ball, I jumped up with wide eyes as the ball began to take orbit. Adios.

There's a certain thrill that comes along with watching a meaningful playoff home run. First, you're paying attention to more at-bats. That's not to undermine regular-season games, but there are 162 of them. Sometimes, I have regular-season games on in the background while I'm cooking a meal, taking a shower, surfing on the computer or talking on the phone.

Playoff games are different. Nearly every pitch requires a certain level of increased attention.

And you know other people are watching, too, so when Moreland launched that ball last night, I imagined all of my closest Rangers fans with their hands in the air waiting for the shot to land in the souvenir section.

I went back and watched the Moreland home run to time how long it stayed in the air. Five seconds. One of the more exciting few seconds any sport has to offer.

I received a text from my brother Dave shortly after the home run that read, "Moreland! That was blasted!" Indeed it was.

Saturday was arguably a series-saving victory for Texas. No way you could feel good heading back to Tampa Bay on Monday staring at a 0-2 deficit. It's a new series at 1-1. Can't wait for Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment