Tuesday, October 25, 2011

One more: Rangers a victory away from World Series

Wednesday night could mark the most historic night in the history of the Texas Rangers.

This night, fewer than 24 hours away, could also mark my proudest moment in the 20-something years I've been following sports.

The Texas Rangers, who I've followed and identified with closer than any other pro sports team, are one victory away from claiming the franchise's first-ever World Series championship.

First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. in St. Louis, where Colby Lewis will oppose Jaime Garcia. The Rangers lead the World Series, 3-2.

It still seems surreal.

Games 4 (4-0 Rangers victory) and 5 (4-2 victory) happened so fast. After all, Texas trailed two games to one just three days ago. Good thing the guys had a short memory.

After Saturday night's loss, which saw Albert Pujols transform into machine mode with three home runs, Texas saw Derek Holland pitch the game of his life in a much-needed Game 4, then witnessed Mike Napoli continue his MVP-caliber postseason run with a game-winning two-run double on Monday in Game 5.

What a run. The final two games, if necessary, will be in St. Louis, so if any Texas dogpile was to take place, it would happen on the other team's field.

Celebrating one of your teams winning a championship is one of the most rewarding parts of following a franchise. When the Dallas Mavericks won the NBA title in June, it was the first time I had witnessed one of my pro sports teams capture a ring. I was actually in Dallas when the Mavs won it all after one of the most spontaneous and crazy road trips I've ever taken.

But this would be unlike any other sports spectacle I've seen. This is the Rangers, the team I watched on mlb.tv in 2007 when they were in last place. The team I followed during the troubling years of all hitting and no pitching. The team that made me believe in them when they told Mark Teixeira adios in 2007 because he didn't want to remain in Texas. The trade pulled off by masterful GM Jon Daniels produced Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz and Matt Harrison, providing the early framework for a championship roster.

Daniels kept stocking the farm with young talent and I kept following the progress. Texas jumped to second place in the AL West in 2008 (79-83) and 2009 (87-75), then of course began the magical ride of winning the division (and the AL) in 2010 (90-72). In 2011 (96-66), the Rangers won more regular-season games than any other team in franchise history.

Yes, this championship would hold special significance. A World Series title would trigger so many memories that put me at ease with life. Times when I could just sit back and take in a ballgame. It's at those times when I'm most relaxed.

I'll be home from work in time for Game 6 to watch it from my apartment in Lawrence. Should the Rangers pull out a victory, I'm not even sure what my reaction would be. As Rangers fans, we've never been put in a position like this before.

Uncharted territory. One more victory and the Texas Rangers are World Series champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment