Monday, October 11, 2010

ALDS Games 3-4 reaction: Tough last two days

While I wasn't naive enough to think the Texas Rangers had sealed the American League Divisional Series with a 2-0 start against Tampa Bay, I entered the weekend confident.

Who wouldn't after the Rangers' showing on the road in Games 1 and 2?

To advance to the American League Championship series, Texas had two chances at home to beat Tampa Bay. We didn't win either of them.

The road team has won every game in the series so far. Now, the series turns to Tuesday in a do-or-die scenario at Tampa Bay. Cliff Lee vs. David Price in a rematch from Game 1.

It's crazy how one inning can turn around an entire series. We led Tampa Bay, 2-1, in the eighth inning of Game 3 when the Rays finally started clicking in a manner I thought I'd see much earlier in the series.

Two singles to take the lead and two home runs in the ninth inning for good measure.

Tampa's momentum carried into Sunday's game, where Carlos Pena (the guy wasn't even hitting .200 on the season) suddenly woke up and decided to be a timely hitter. To me, he's been the difference in the Rays turning around their fortunes on offense.

I've heard several rumblings about how the Rangers should have pitched Lee in Game 4 on Sunday. I suppose it's easier to say now. Personally, I didn't have a problem with Texas trotting out Tommy Hunter, who was 7-0 at home this season, to face Wade Davis, a guy we rocked for eight runs on June 4. Plus, Lee has never pitched on three days rest. Results could have varied.

But that's what Game 5 will be about. For Tampa to advance to the ALCS, it will have to beat Cliff Lee.

I'm luckily off Tuesday night, so I'll get to watch the prime time game on TBS. Hopefully, Lee carries us like he did in Game 1.

Could be the most special moment in team history. Or it could represent an unfortunate letdown after jumping out to a 2-0 series lead.

This will be a significant one.

No comments:

Post a Comment