Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This may not happen again for a long time...so I'm going to the World Series

My brother Dave told me something a few months ago that has stuck with me to this day. One night, when we were catching up on the phone, he lamented the fact that we couldn't hang out more often because he lived in Denver and I lived in Lawrence.

It was the prime time of our lives, he said. Dave is 23, I'm 26. It's a shame we couldn't get to enjoy spending more time together.

Sometimes, life throws you a break.

This upcoming weekend, Dave already had a flight booked for Dallas months in advance. This upcoming weekend, the Texas Rangers will be playing in their first World Series in team history when they take on the San Francisco Giants. Add me into that mix and we'll just call it a joyous reunion.

When a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity knocks at your door, sometimes you have to answer. Sometimes, you have to listen closely and weigh your options. And sometimes, you simply have to pull the trigger.



I'm officially going to the World Series.

Dave and I will be on hand for Game 4 on Sunday night at Rangers Ballpark. I can't wait to witness the electricity of the ballpark I've seen on TV this postseason.

You see, going back eight years, those three aforementioned components — Dave, me and Rangers Ballpark — formed quite the alliance. We shared so many memories. I'm still convinced that's why I think of baseball as my favorite sport. Baseball symbolizes some of my most vivid memories growing up. Many times, I shared those memories with my brother and best friend, Dave, in Arlington.

Now, of course, we live different lives than when we were in school and had every summer off. Our priorities have changed, too. We both have full-time jobs we enjoy, and they just so happen to be a plane ride (or an eight-hour car drive) away. I'm thankful for a lot in my life right now.

I'm also thrilled to have the opportunity to attend the World Series. This may not happen to the Rangers again for a while.

I can't wait to continue following this magical postseason Rangers run to the World Series. But actually being a part of it, especially with Dave, will be an experience I'll never forget.

I've been to countless games in Arlington: 30-40 if I had to guess. None of them will be as memorable as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment